Brigend was built in 1891 and started life as St. Ninian’s Episcopal Church, Maxwelltown.
It is described in John Gifford’s “The Buildings of Scotland, Dumfries and Galloway”, as ‘a simple rectangle with an apsed east end and round arch windows, built of hammered dressed stone’.
In the mid-20th century the building was used as a joiner’s workshop until purchased by Dumfries Musical and Operatic Society in 1971/2 (The Society changed its name to Dumfries Musical Theatre Company at the beginning of 2008).
Considerable changes were made to the rear of the building permitting access to the dressing room and upstairs wardrobe.
Since 1972, the 91 seat theatre has been used as a rehearsal space and at least one of the Company’s productions each year. It is available for hire and used on a regular basis by others in the local community and by visiting theatre companies, bands and local festival events.
At the end of 2009, Brigend was listed a category C(S) building by Historic Scotland